Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Friday, March 23, 2007

Marriage

Last night I went on a hot date with my wife. We had a babysitter come to our home to watch the kids and off we went. It was a great date. I really mean it was great. We really connected last night. We just talked and talked and talked. My wife and I enjoy opening up to each other and talking about everything. I mean everything. We have learned that the only way for us to have a healthy marriage is to have great communication. So we frequently pull away, just the two of us, and talk. I love when my wife and I are transparent. I love when we just spill our guts out to one another. I love when we just talk about the raw reality of life, marriage, kids, money, sex, God, church, people, "stupid people" [I know you never have to deal with stupid people, but we have to sometimes] :), vacation, fun, college, sports, and the list goes on and on. Communication is really fun! We have a strong marriage because we have strong communication.

Hey married couples, when was the last time you had a heart to heart with your spouse? I mean a down right gut level conversation. I mean lay it all on the table talk. I'm not talking about this 2007 communication of send me a text and I'll fire you an email. Or better yet, while I watch TV and you fold the clothes and surf the Internet, we will have a great intimate life altering conversation. WHATEVER! Some of you know that your marriage is drifting. Instead of getting closer, it seems you are growing further apart. The flame is dying because you don't talk. You haven't been on a date in forever. You haven't talked about the good, the bad and the ugly in a long time. Let me encourage you to get alone with your spouse ASAP and talk. I'm not talking about a 15 minute chat. I'm talking about carving out 2 hours and saying I know this is going to be uncomfortable but let's talk. Let's lay everything on the table, and let's take our average marriage and make it a great marriage.

You can do it! God will help you if you just go for it! QUIT BEING A WIMP! QUIT MAKING EXCUSES! QUIT BEING FULL OF PRIDE! Just do it! Didn't you just hear what I said! QUIT YOUR EXCUSES AND JUST DO IT! You'll be so glad you did.