Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

How To Take A Vacation? pt. 4

Take technology breaks.

When I am on vacation, I notify my staff not to contact me via email or by phone. I don't check my emails or take phone calls for several days in a row. I leave a voice mail on my phone that lets people know that I will not be listening to or returning phone calls. I actually unwind by doing this. I am wired to check my emails and to talk on my cell phone constantly, so a technology break really allows me to recharge my batteries.

You may want to check with your supervisor before you decide to not return their phone call or email for a week. I don't want to get you into any trouble on account of me. :)

It's amazing when I take technology breaks how I crave technology. It's like a drug to check email and listen to voice mail. WEIRD, HUH! Isn't it true that one bad email or phone call can ruin your day or your entire vacation? Take a technology break so that you can actually take a break from work.

To all the senior leaders and supervisors, don't email your people and call them about work while they are on vacation. Let them actually take a break. Let them get refreshed. You will have a much better and well focused employee if you let them really take a vacation.

It's okay to tell your boss about my blog so that you can get a break :).