Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

How To Take A Vacation? pt. 2

Here are some things that have helped me take vacations.

1. I had to learn my personal rhythms. I have learned how many weeks in a row I can study and speak and still keep my creativity and energy level up. Six weeks in a row is ideal. If I go much past 8 weeks, I start to feel it mentally, physically, emotionally and even spiritually. I have been 13 to 15 weeks in a row without a study and speaking break and that's just flat out stupid. I almost lost it when I've done that. You have to learn your own rhythm and then plan accordingly.

2. Learn the rhythms of your organization. Churches don't grow all year round, unless there is a season of unusual momentum. You have to learn your organization’s natural down times. For most churches, one natural down time is during the summer. Because the summer is a natural down time for People's Church, I take several Sundays off during this time. You have to come to grips with the fact that every season can't be a growth and momentum season. You will kill yourself and the people who serve/work with you if you try to push at an extremely fast paced level during every season. There is a rhythm in your organization too, so learn it and roll with it!