Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Monday, March 3, 2008

Guest Blog: Josh Brown

This week I am taking a blogging break. One of our two Executive Pastors will be blogging for me. Josh Brown is our Director of Operations at People's Church. He is one of the most gifted and high capacity leaders I know. Josh is a great leader who comes from the business world. He actually owned a construction company before coming full-time to People's Church. If you are a Senior Pastor, be sure to have your staff read Josh's blogs this week. I know they will be very insightful for you and your team.

From the Heart of an Executive Pastor

When Herbert asked me to blog this week there were two thoughts that ran through my mind. The first, as always, when he allows me the opportunity to share my heart with his team, church body and now blog readers is, “WHAT AN HONOR!!” I cannot begin to tell you how much I admire, respect and love the leader God has put in charge of People’s Church. God has truly blessed People’s Church with an amazing visionary leader. Secondly, I thought about what I consider as the biggest key to being an extraordinary executive. There is not a gifting, skill set or trait that is more needed in an executive than loyalty and trust. When I first came on staff at People’s Church, as with all staff members, I was asked to read the book Armor Bearer by Terry Nance. Pastors, if you have not had your team read this book, I highly encourage you to do so. The whole premise of this book is what does it truly mean to be an armor bearer for your leader. In essence, what does trust and loyalty look like. God has gifted me in a couple of areas, mainly in business/operations and construction, but I can honestly tell you none of that matters if Herbert cannot trust me or feels that I am not loyal to him, the vision God has given him for People’s Church or to People’s Church itself. If there is one thing that must drive us, must eat at us, must consume us, especially those who sit in the inner circle of the church’s leader, it has to be loyalty and trust. At times this may mean we lay down our own comforts and agendas to make sure this happens. We must be above any type of reproach in our actions and language (spoken and unspoken). Remember perception is reality. I honestly believe that it is our job as the leaders in the 2nd chair to do whatever it takes to protect the vision, heartbeat and culture our leaders have set in motion.