Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Guest Blog: Josh Brown pt. 2

One Big "C"

Don't worry, I'm not blogging about what my grade was in Analyzing and Interpreting Literature this morning. I actually want to touch on the necessity for "chemistry" within the Executive Team. Bill Hybels, in his book "Courageous Leadership," states there are three "C's" you need to keep in mind when hiring anyone: Character, Competence and Chemistry. I think the first two go without much explanation, but chemistry can often be overlooked. I'm here to say chemistry should be looked at with any hire, especially when it comes to the inner circle of the leader. I am thankful that Herbert takes the time every week to pull Brian (Executive of Programming), an amazingly talented individual by the way, and me to the side to review the past week, plan for the upcoming weeks and strategize for the future. Can I tell you that if we did not have a common passion for the culture we are in and an incredible working friendship, we would not make it for the long haul. I'm not saying you should hire an executive that is just like you. In fact, I would encourage you to do close to the opposite. Herbert has surrounded himself with an Executive Team that compliments him well, but when you put our gifts and passions together it just plain works. Definitely hire competent character-filled executives, but not at the expense of chemistry. Our Executive Team at People's Church, though not perfect, is a testament that you can have all three. Build a great team, and you will make some incredible sparks for the Kingdom.