Tuesday, September 30, 2008
1. Know their struggles
2. Know their fears
3. Know their culture
4. Know their pain
5. Know their demographics
Monday, September 29, 2008
2. I spoke Friday night to some of the leaders of PC. It was a great night of vision casting.
3. On Saturday night, I spoke twice for my friend Craig Groeschel. For all of you who are not in the ministry world, Craig is the Senior Pastor of www.lifechurch.tv.
4. Of course, I spoke at four of our five Sunday experiences.
5. What God is doing at LifeChurch.tv is unbelievable! It was so weird knowing that I was speaking to more people through video than I was live.
6. I wrapped up our series Room Mates, Bad Dates and Great Mates. It was a very helpful series.
7. It never gets old watching people give their hearts to Christ. I am humbled and blown away that every week people accept Christ as their Savior at PC! God is so amazing!
8. I'm beginning a new series this Sunday called Just Ask. The title of Sunday's message is Lord, Bless Me! This is going to be a timely series with all that's going on in our society and economy. Invite your friends and family to come connect with God.
Friday, September 26, 2008
2. I rarely work on Fridays, but this afternoon, I have to study two different weekend messages and get prepared for a vision talk I'm giving to some of the leaders of our church tonight.
3. I am speaking for a friend of mine on Saturday night. I will be speaking at PC on Sunday.
4. I took my wife on a date last night. Always enjoy our time together away from the kids.
5. My Community Group that I'm attending has been really good. We are holding each other accountable and praying for each other in areas that we are struggling in. I love hanging with these guys.
6. My wife had strep throat this week. She is feeling better. I hate to see my wife not feeling good.
7. I went to a pastors’ meeting on Tuesday and there was some great stuff said. Two things stuck out. Reach the unchurched and stay pure. I walked away very encouraged.
8. I'm closing out our series Room Mates, Bad Dates & Great Mates on Sunday. Going to be fun!
9. Church family, I want to encourage you to host a Community Group for four weeks beginning the first Sunday of October. I will do all of the work for you on a DVD. All you have to do is push play and let me ask the questions that are based on the Sunday sermon. You can do this! This is your chance to get to know some of your church family and grow spiritually. Get connected! Email firstname.lastname@example.org right now and let her know that you will host a Community Group for four weeks! GO FOR IT! QUIT hesitating! Quit making excuses! DO IT NOW!
10. Five of my fantasy football teams are 3-0. One of my football teams is 0-3. I need a turn around in that league. It's coming this week.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
7. People attend church with people who look just like them?
8. People talk negatively about other churches that are different from theirs?
9. People have the tendency to look inward instead of outward?
10. People make church all about them?
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
1. People stand up the entire time at a Dallas Cowboys game?
2. People say one thing and do another?
3. People come to church 10 to 30 minutes late to a 1 hour service?
4. People give less than 10 percent and still call it tithing?
5. People who haven't had a successful track record at any ministry position want to start a church?
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
This morning, I am attending a pastors meeting with pastors from around the area. I know I will enjoy connecting with other pastors and sharpening one another. This afternoon, I have a meeting with our Executive Team and then a meeting with our Leadership Team.
On Wednesday and Thursday, I will be studying like crazy. I have lots of preparation to do this week. I am speaking to some of our leaders at PC on Friday night. We are going to eat dessert together, fellowship and I will be casting vision. I love these times with our leaders. On Saturday, I'm speaking two times at a friend’s church who lives in the state of
Going to be a busy but GREAT week!
Monday, September 22, 2008
1. It was another beautiful weekend in
2. Yesterday, there were lots of people baptized in water, and many people gave their hearts to Christ.
3. I talked with a pastor friend of mine last night, and he talked about how on Sunday nights a preacher can feel depressed after speaking a bunch on Sundays. There are some Sunday nights I can relate to my friend. It's the HOLY hang over. All you pastors, say Amen!
4. People laughed their heads off in church yesterday. I mean they laughed and laughed and laughed. I think church can be fun!
5. I told our married couples that they need to have sex regularly. I got some strong amens from some of our men. I didn't make that up, it's in your Bible! If you haven't read it, you ought to check it out. It's a great book!
6. I told our married couples that they need to romance one another. I told them that I'm not talking about having sex but being romantic. I got some strong amens from our women and a lot of laughter.
7. God is doing a great work in marriages.
8. I'm closing out our series Room Mates, Bad Dates & Great Mates on Sunday! It's going to be a fun time in God's presence!
Friday, September 19, 2008
1. On Monday, I went with a pastor friend of mine to the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles football game. To say the least, it was a great game. It was action-packed from start to finish. It was my first Dallas Cowboys game, but it won't be my last.
2. This Sunday, I'm teaching a message called How To Have An Affair. Don't you dare miss this message. Invite a friend to church.
3. They have poured almost all of the slab for our new facility. The STEEL starts going up next week! Exciting stuff!
4. If you want God to rock your marriage or future marriage in a good way, don't miss church this Sunday!
5. I did an interview for my friend Craig Groeschel yesterday for a DVD that he is going to be releasing about IT. If you haven't read the book, IT, you need to. It inspired me and our team to new heights. Craig is stinking funny in the book as well. I laughed out loud several times.
6. My fantasy football teams went 5-1 last week. The only problem is I lost in the same league again, so I'm 0-2 in one league and 2-0 in the other 5. I need a turn around.
7. I'm so excited about the future of PC. Our best days are definitely ahead of us! Get ready for a wild ride PC!
9. I'm going to enjoy a great day with my family. Be sure you spend some quality time with your family. PEACE!
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
11. Date your spouse.
12. Spend time with your kids.
13. Make love to your spouse.
14. Live by priorities – don't just talk about them.
15. Preach the Bible not your opinion
16. Work hard
17. Take your day off (but first work hard)
18. Be accountable
19. Take care of your body
20. Be a friend
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Monday, September 15, 2008
2. I really felt like the Holy Spirit did a great work in the hearts of people yesterday.
3. I thought the message went really well yesterday and was received well.
4. Many people gave their hearts to Christ!
5. I love the song “Alpha and Omega.” The band did a bang up job with that song.
6. Yesterday, we started promoting our October series titled Just Ask. I'm really excited about teaching this series.
7. Our Leadership Team came to our home on Friday night, and we had a great time hanging out. I'm not a cook, but I did my best :).
8. We desperately need more space. I'm sure glad our new 42,000 square foot facility is right around the corner.
9. If you are considering getting a divorce, I would really encourage you to listen to yesterday's teaching at www.peopleschurch.tv. The message should be online today or tomorrow.
10. My Oklahoma Sooners smashed Washington. Ohio State got smashed by USC. OSU shouldn't be ranked in the top 10.
11. This coming up Sunday I'm teaching a message titled How To Have An Affair!!!
Friday, September 12, 2008
2. Praying for all of these hurricanes and the people that are being affected by them.
3. Went to lunch with a friend of mine on Thursday and had a great time.
4. My wife and I went on a SUPER HOT date last night. It was super hot because it was just the two of us. We left little Case with the babysitter.
5. 12,000 square feet of the slab for the new building was poured before the rain hit. We are hoping to pour the rest of the slab next week if weather permits.
6. Our Leadership Staff is coming over to our home tonight to hang out. I love having fun with our team and their families.
7. Tom Brady is out for the season. Bummer!
8. This Sunday, I'm speaking on the subject Things To Consider Before You Say I Quit.
9. Our October series is going to be so helpful and insightful. The series is titled Just Ask! It's going to be good.
10. My OU Sooners are 2-0 and are headed to
Thursday, September 11, 2008
1. Don't overestimate what God will do in the short-term, and don't underestimate what he will do in the long-term. (Thanks Craig for this piece of advice that you gave me in the early days of PC).
2. Continue to market like crazy.
3. Cast vision constantly.
4. Don't compromise your vision for anybody: the high roller, fat cat or smooth talker. Stay the course.
5. Create a church that you and your family will love to come to in 5 to 10 years.
6. Stay close to God during this busy season.
7. Build a strong team around you.
8. Remember that it's easier to build a crowd and turn it into a core than to build a core and turn it into a crowd. (I learned this from Rick Warren.)
9. Take care of yourself and your family during this hectic season.
10. Take some time off at Christmas, and be sure your time off includes at least one Sunday off. Pace yourself, so you don't burn out.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Here are some things that I'm learning about having a healthy team.
1. Healthy teams fight! That's right they fight. Just yesterday in our executive meeting, one of my staff members punched me in the jaw. This is the first time this team member has hit me. He has pushed me several times but never hit me. JUST KIDDING! But fighting is a healthy sign of a great team. Behind closed doors, opinions should be aired. Ideas should be thrown on the table. Disagreements should be welcomed. Heated and intense moments should be a part of the process when you are making critical decisions for the organization. Notice that I didn't say you should be a jerk, but healthy teams know how to close the door and throw down so that the best decisions can be made to advance the organization. Sometimes, you even have to throw down so that you can better understand each other’s viewpoints. Healthy teams throw down behind closed doors and then walk out as a unified front. After they walk out of the room, no one else would have ever known that they just had an intense fight because they have each other’s backs. THAT'S HEALTHY!
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
1. This morning I'm hitting the gym hard.
2. I am going to work on this Sunday's sermon.
3. I am going to work on a message that I'm speaking for a friend of mine for the end of September.
4. At 11:45AM the Leadership Team and I are joining together for an intense time of seeking God's face. I believe we have to work like it depends on us and pray like it depends on God. We are nothing without God and His anointing.
5. I am meeting with our Executive Team after we prayer together.
6. After the Executive Meeting, I am meeting with our Leadership Staff.
7. I really do love the team I serve with! They are great people!
8. After the Leadership Meeting, I am heading home to eat dinner with my family and chill at the house.
9. It's going to be a productive and great day!
Monday, September 8, 2008
1. We had a great Sunday at PC!
2. Many people gave their hearts to Christ!
3. There was a ton of repentance going on at PC yesterday. Repentance is a good thing!
4. Our attendance was great yesterday.
5. Ignite, our college & somethings experience, went great last night.
6. A huge thank you to all of our volunteers who serve week in and week out. YOU'RE AWESOME!
7. I love teaching on relationships. God has blessed me with a wonderful wife and with great kids. I love being and husband and a dad and want to see families thrive and not just survive.
8. We went on a family date on Friday night and had a great time.
9. My wife and I rented a movie on Friday night and watched it after we put the kids to bed.
10. Our Newcomers’/Membership Luncheon went well. Many people became members of PC yesterday.
11. This coming up Sunday, I'm teaching a message titled Things To Consider Before You Say I Quit.
12. Lives are being changed by the power of God, and that's what it's all about!
13. I love what I do!
14. Invite people to be at church on Sunday! I mean invite everybody you know. God is up to something!
15. My 6 fantasy teams went 5-1 this week. If I would have started Jon Kitna instead of Carson Palmer I would have went 6-0! Bummer! Palmer scares me.
Friday, September 5, 2008
1. My Oklahoma Sooners are 1-0. We are gearing up for a National Championship run!
2. On Wednesday, the big announcement was made. The new NBA team is the Oklahoma City THUNDER! NBA in OKC, YEA, that's what I'm talkin' about!
3. I am in six fantasy football leagues. Yes, I have a fantasy disease. Pray for me :)!
4. This Sunday, I'm speaking on Things To Consider Before You Say I Do! It's going to be a HUGE DAY at PC!
5. The Got Sex series that our Student Ministries Director kicked off on Wednesday night was smokin' good. Parents make sure your student is there for this incredible and much needed teaching.
6. This Sunday, immediately after the 4th experience, we are having our Newcomers’/Membership Luncheon. Did I mention FREE Earl's BBQ? I look forward to meeting many of the new families of PC!
7. This Sunday night at 6 PM is bIGNITE at Ignite. College & 20 somethings don't miss this great night of worship, and there is going to be free pizza following the experience.
8. I just realized that we are doing a lot of free food stuff this Sunday. Well, it's the kickoff to the fall, and everything is back rolling full steam ahead!
9. INVITE A FRIEND TO CHURCH THIS SUNDAY! DON'T COME ALONE! GOD IS GOING TO CHANGE LIVES! BE THERE!
Thursday, September 4, 2008
6. I wish I would have known that getting people connected in a rapidly growing church would take tons of focus and hard work. Healthy small groups just don't happen by osmosis.
7. I wish I would have known that shying away from teaching people about biblical stewardship only hurts the congregation and the church.
8. I wish I would have known that the church can only grow beyond the pain that I am willing to endure. One of my mentors taught me this, and it has jacked me up ever since! There is a price to pay!
9. I wish I would have known that I can be the greatest hindrance from God blessing our church. I am not discounting God's favor because that is the ultimate key, but I'll never forget the day I asked one of my mentors what had to change for our church to grow to 200. His response shocked me! Then, I asked him what had to change for our church to grow to 500. Once again, his response shocked me! Then, I asked what had to change for our church to grow to 1000. He gave me the same shocking response! He said, “YOU HAVE TO CHANGE!" It was that day that I quit blaming the Worship Team, Media Team, Children's Team, the movie theater we were renting at the time and the negative people. I came to the profound realization that I had to continue to grow and allow God to change me so that I wouldn't get in the way of God blessing our church.
10. I wish I would have known that when I changed, the leaders closest to me would change. When I changed, I would attract sharper people around me. When I changed, it would cause me to take more risks. When I changed, it would cause the church to change, and God would bless it in wonderful ways!
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Someone from our blogging family asked me to blog about, "What does Herbert know now that he wished he had known when he started PC?" So here it goes!
1. I wish I would have known that ministry is a marathon and not a sprint.
2. I wish I would have known that not taking enough speaking breaks would wear me down.
3. I wish I would have known that high caliber people would leave their job and take a pay cut to come help accomplish a God-sized vision.
4. I wish I would have known that taking my time to make the right hires would pay huge dividends for the church.
5. I wish I would have known that you never arrive so enjoy the journey. I always thought when we got to 200 people then I'd start having a blast. Then, it was 400, 700, 1000 and it keeps going on and on. Enjoy the journey.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
1. It was a nice long weekend with the family!
2. On Monday, the family and I went to I-HOP for breakfast! YUMMY! Then, we went to a store and let the kids look at toys. They loved that!
3. On Sunday, our Student Ministries/College & 20 Somethings Director kicked off our Room Mates, Bad Dates & Great Mates series. Chris did an outstanding job. Chris is a very good communicator! We were all challenged, and hopefully, we were all changed!
4. Our attendance was down because of the holiday. That's normal for us at PC.
5. 26 people gave their lives to Christ on Labor Day weekend! Thank you, Jesus!
6. I love looking at the stage during worship and seeing one of my closest friends in the world leading us in worship. I love Brian Rush like a brother. Brian and his wife Alicia have been on this church planting journey with Tiffany and me since day one. That's priceless!
7. Josh Brown, our Director of Operations, is hammering all of us with little details so that we can improve our weekend experiences. I'm so glad to have detailed people around me. We must have the best Sunday experiences possible because people's eternity is hanging in the balance EVERY Sunday!
8. I'm pumped to speak this coming up Sunday on the subject of Things You Should Consider Before You Say I Do. Invite every single person you know to church this Sunday. Parents, grandparents and future parents do not miss this message because I want to equip you to help your kids, grandkids and future kids. God is going to do a great work.
9. IGNITE, our College and 20 Somethings experience, is having a bIGNITE this coming Sunday at 6PM. FREE PIZZA and lots of fun will follow the experience.
10. Have a great Tuesday!