Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Advice To A Church Planter

A church planter who just started a church on Sunday, September 7, in Texas emailed me and asked me if I had any advice for him in this season of ministry. I took less than 5 minutes, and I sent him this advice. It was the first 10 things that popped into my head.

1. Don't overestimate what God will do in the short-term, and don't underestimate what he will do in the long-term. (Thanks Craig for this piece of advice that you gave me in the early days of PC).
2. Continue to market like crazy.
3. Cast vision constantly.
4. Don't compromise your vision for anybody: the high roller, fat cat or smooth talker. Stay the course.
5. Create a church that you and your family will love to come to in 5 to 10 years.
6. Stay close to God during this busy season.
7. Build a strong team around you.
8. Remember that it's easier to build a crowd and turn it into a core than to build a core and turn it into a crowd. (I learned this from Rick Warren.)
9. Take care of yourself and your family during this hectic season.
10. Take some time off at Christmas, and be sure your time off includes at least one Sunday off. Pace yourself, so you don't burn out.