Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Whenever you begin to delegate to a rookie leader or a leader in a new role, it is very important to inspect what you expect.
A few reasons to inspect what you expect:
1. To ensure that the job got done properly.
2. To give feed back or advice.
3. To give encouragement.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Properly train the person you are delegating to.
There is nothing more frustrating for you or the person you are delegating to than not clearly explaining what you want and expect. If you are going to effectively delegate, you have to be very clear on the what, the when and the how.
1. The What: What do you want? Be specific and be clear. If there seems to be confusion, ask the person if they understand what you want and even have them explain/repeat it back to you.
2. The When: When do you want it done? If you leave it open for interpretation, don't get upset if what you delegated gets done next week, next month or even next year. You need to be very clear on when you need the task or responsibility done.
3. The How: Most of the time I don't get involved in how our team does something. There is more than one way to accomplish most assignments/jobs. There are some things that I want done a certain way, and I explain how I want it done. Example: There is a certain way that I want my assistant to handle my phone calls, so I don't just tell my assistant to just answer the phone and take messages. We have covered in detail the HOW of handling my phone calls.
Monday, April 28, 2008
1. Tiffany and I went out with some friends on Friday night. These friends have made a tremendous investment in our lives and ministry. It was fun hanging out.
2. On Saturday, we hung out around the house most of the day. Saturday evening we took the kids out for a family date. The kids love family dates, and daddy enjoys them as well.
3. This makes two weeks in a row that my wife and I haven't rented and watched a movie together. Usually on Fridays, we rent and watch a movie when we put the kids to bed. It's one of the things we look forward to every week. Maybe we will get back into our routine this Friday. We'll see!
4. My wife made me a grilled cheese and ham sandwich for lunch on Sunday. I'm always super hungry after church on Sundays. It was a great lunch. Then, my sweetheart made a delicious cake, and I ate some of that for dinner. YES, I HAD CAKE FOR DINNER :)!
5. 36 people gave their hearts to Christ this Sunday! THE BLOOD NEVER LOSES ITS POWER! Thank you, God!
6. This Sunday I taught our church that DEEP IS OBEDIENCE. Many Christians get very confused about the subject of going DEEP. I want DEEP teaching. I am a DEEP Christian. What does all of that mean? I talked about that very subject yesterday. If you want to listen to the message go online to www.peopleschurch.tv
7. If you are a Christ follower and you've never been baptized in water, THIS COMING UP SUNDAY IS FOR YOU! We are going to be baptizing people in all 4 services. Quit making excuses and be obedient to God. YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID! Call or email the church office now and tell them which service you are going to get baptized in (firstname.lastname@example.org or 775-9991). NOW NOW NOW!
Friday, April 25, 2008
2. This evening my wife and I are going out to dinner with some friends. These friends have been mentors and a real inspiration to both Tiffany and I.
3. We are doing our usual Friday family date night on Saturday. The kids would be disappointed if we didn't have our date night two weeks in a row. Last Friday was the staff cook-out at our home. Cale, my oldest son, was explaining to his little brother that we are switching date night days.
4. The New Orleans Hornets are looking really good in the playoffs. I have special love for the Hornets because they played ball in Oklahoma City for two years. Also, four of the players attended PC when they were in Oklahoma City. GO HORNETS!
5. I've preached a lot of Sundays so far this year. Really, more than I probably should have. I've only missed one Sunday this year. This was a unique season for our church with the CRAZY Campaign in January and February, breaking ground on a 42,000 square foot facility and then Easter coming so early. I'm looking forward to a break in the not too distant future. Studying messages and preaching 4 times every Sunday is grueling (on top of leading the church). If you are not a pastor, that may not make since to you, but studying and preaching is a draining job but very rewarding.
6. This Sunday we are beginning a new series called DEEP. God is going to use this series to help all of us grow closer to Christ. Looking forward to diving deep!
Thursday, April 24, 2008
I was in college and a pastor came to speak during our spiritual emphasis week. The pastor told all of us students that being was more important than doing. WOW, that one statement has had a profound impact on my life. It's amazing how one line out of one sermon has stuck with me all of these years. I am a child of God. I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. I am a friend of God. I am a co-heir with Christ. It's a passion of mine to stay focused on who I am more than what I do. If you focus your life on doing instead of being, there is a high probability that you will end up a public success and a private failure. WHO YOU ARE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHAT YOU DO!
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
We love to celebrate the boxer who wins the heavy weight championship of the world. ESPN shows highlight after highlight of the "one punch" that was landed to knock out his opponent. We celebrate the event but often times forget about the process. The boxer didn't win the championship the day he showed up to box, he won the championship because of the years, months and days of preparation that led up to the big match. The real success was in his daily routine; in his daily disciplines. Success is when preparation and opportunity collide.
ARE YOU PREPARING DAILY FOR THE GREAT OPPORTUNITIES THAT GOD HAS IN STORE FOR YOU?
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
"Your Team Will Make You Or Break You."
As John Maxwell says, "One is too small of a number for greatness." Teamwork really does make the dream work. Those closest to you will determine your level of success. Build a great team, and they will help carry out the great vision.
To My Leadership Team:
Brian: You have been here from day one. Your creativity and desire for excellence has taken us to a high level. Your passion for God is contagious. You are also an incredible worship leader.
Shane: You have been here for over 5 years. Your attention to details and systems are unbelievable. I hate details, so I'm very grateful for you. You are such a team player.
Josh: You have been attending People's Church for almost 5 years. You have now been on staff for almost two years. Your leadership ability and business savvy has taken our church to a whole new level.
Mandi: You have been attending People's Church for over 4 years. You have such a gift to manage and lead people. Your passion to learn and grow is a wonderful quality. You inspire everyone who gets around you.
Chris: You have been on the team for 2 months. Your maturity and wisdom is a great asset to our team. You are a great speaker/preacher. I'm glad I have another team teacher on staff.
Monday, April 21, 2008
1. Wow, Sunday was a great day. I talked to our church about How To Respond When A Good Kid Goes Bad. This message touched a lot of parents’ hearts. Parents, I'm praying for God to bring home your prodigal child!! I can't wait to hear the testimony of your child coming back to God.
2. I had a blast with our staff. They came to our home on Friday for a cook-out. We had fun. I really love the team I serve with. I am surrounded by some of the sharpest people on the planet. I MEAN THAT!
3. Saturday evening my family ate dinner outside on the back patio. It's great chillin’ as a family. The weather was AWESOME!
4. 32 people gave their hearts to Christ on Sunday. "God, I am so humbled by the way you are changing lives every week at People's Church." THANK YOU GOD!
5. I hope the New Orleans Hornets win the NBA championship. I only watch NBA basketball during the playoffs.
6. Hurry up Seattle SuperSonics and get to
7. This Sunday, we were over 350 people bigger than the same Sunday last year. GO GOD!
8. I'm beginning a new series beginning this coming up Sunday called "DEEP". You and your friends are going to enjoy diving deeper in your relationship with Christ.
Friday, April 18, 2008
1. Our Leadership Staff is coming to our home tonight for a cook-out. It will be fun to hang out with them. We have a great team!
2. Next week, I'm going to be sharing some more one liners that have impacted my life.
3. I have gone to lunch with two local church planters over the past two weeks. I really enjoy connecting with church planters. They are a different breed.
4. Only 21 percent of
5. I'm excited that we are going to BAPTIZE many people in all four services the first Sunday of May!
6. Our 6 year anniversary is on Mother's Day. I can't believe we will be 6 years old. Wow, how time flies.
7. I'm very pumped about what God is doing in our Youth Ministry. Our new Student Ministries Directors are a very sharp couple. I'm very excited to have them on board.
8. Students, don't miss out on CRAM Night coming up on Wednesday, April 30th. This is going to be a HUGE night for our Youth Ministry. Parent's of PC, if your student is not plugged into our Youth Ministry, get them plugged in this coming Wednesday. We want to partner with you in raising your student to serve God with passion!
9. INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO OUR FRIEND’S DAY THIS SUNDAY!
Thursday, April 17, 2008
"You can only grow beyond the pain you are willing to endure."
There is no doubt that God called my wife and I into ministry and to pastor People's Church but being a pastor of a growing church is painful.
1. The personal growth is grueling. I didn't realize when I started People's Church that I would be the biggest barrier to our church growing. The only way the church can continue to grow is I have to continue to grow. YIKES!
2. The personal, financial and relational sacrifice my wife and I made in the beginning days was INSANE!
3. Being misunderstood, not liked and talked about is just part of leadership, but it's not fun.
4. Making difficult staffing decisions is a draining job but to advance the Kingdom you have to do it.
I wouldn't do anything else in the world because I'm called. I love what I do and I get to make an eternal impact everyday, but it's painful.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
"Develop Your Strengths And Delegate Your Weaknesses."
I don't want to be well-rounded. I don't want to be good at everything. As a matter of fact, I don't have the ability to be good at everything. Some of you are thinking, “Well, Herbert that's easy for you to say because you have a large church with a paid staff.” Believe it or not, I have put this into practice from the very beginning of our church when we were running 40 and 50 people in the summer of 2002. I never have written one check (I don't even know how to write a check) on Quick Books. I never have put together one PowerPoint presentation (I don't even know how). I don't even know how to run the copy machine (that's sad, and I know it is :). You would be amazed at how much stuff I don't know how to do because I delegate it with the quickness. I will NEVER be good at 5 or 10 things, but I think I have the ability to be great at one or two things. I DON'T WANT TO BE WELL-ROUNDED!
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
What are your strengths? What can you or your organization do better than anybody else in the world? What's your niche? What separates you from everybody else? I do not want to be a copycat, I want to be an original. I learn a ton from other leaders, but when the rubber meets the road, I want to be the best Herbert Cooper that I can be. NOBODY CAN BEAT ME BEING ME, AND nobody can beat People's Church at being the best People's Church in the world!
Monday, April 14, 2008
2. Our Newcomers’/Membership Luncheon went really well. Earl's barbeque is the bomb!
3. There were 46 people who gave their hearts to Christ this weekend. I get so pumped up seeing people giving their lives to Christ. I will never forget the day that I surrendered my life to Christ. My life has never been the same!
4. We had a record attendance for a regular Sunday at PC. The only other time that we have had more in attendance is on a special Sunday like Easter.
5. This parenting series has gone really really well. I've been very encouraged by all of the testimonies that I'm hearing from parents. God is using the messages to bring true life-change to our homes.
6. I watched an NFL football game after church yesterday. Just kidding! But I can't wait for football season.
7. The band was OFF THE CHARTS great yesterday!
8. Our volunteers are AMAZING! Thanks for serving every week. You are making an ETERNAL difference!
9. I know I say this a lot, but I'm more serious than ever; INVITE EVERYBODY YOU KNOW TO ATTEND CHURCH THIS COMING UP SUNDAY! I will be speaking on the subject, How To Respond When A Good Kid Goes Bad. All of your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors need to be at church to experience the presence of God.
10. Have a super duper Monday!
Friday, April 11, 2008
2. I’m praying for all of this rain to stop, in JESUS NAME! We are trying build a building mother nature, so chill out!!
3. A friend of mine asked me to write a book with him. I'm thinking about it, and I'm going to do some research on it.
4. I'm enjoying leading our Leadership Team again. We have been having some intense and productive meetings.
5. My wife is a SUPER FINE pregnant woman. I just call 'em like I see 'em. SHE'S HOT!
6. My kids are growing up way to quick. I love being a daddy.
7. We have a fun staff retreat planned for June. We do this every year. They bring their entire families, and we have a blast together. I'm really looking forward to it.
8. Tiffany and I are having our Leadership Team and their families over to our house for a cook-out later this month. It will be fun to connect with them and their families in a non-ministry setting. I love my team!
9. I'm going to get some painting done for my wife this weekend. I HATE HANDYMAN WORK, BUT I LOVE MY WIFE!
10. See you Sunday!
Thursday, April 10, 2008
1. It's my dream to grow old with my wife. I have seen divorce plague many of my family members, and I am determined to grow old with the love of my life. If you wonder why I blog so much about my family, it's because I'm consumed with having a great marriage and being a great dad. Divorce will not invade my family. Tiffany and I both are excited to be in love for our entire life, to watch our kids grow up and to one day have grandkids. We talk about this stuff often.
2. I'm dreaming about my boys not struggling with some of the issues that I had to struggle with when I was growing up (SIN ISSUES). I want them to be kids of God, teens of God and men of God. I want to be a role model for them of what it means to be a Godly man. When it comes to spiritual things, I want my kids to have it better than I did when I was growing up.
3. I'm dreaming about taking my little girl on date nights. I'm going to date my daughter long before some knucklehead boy does. I want her to know how a Godly man should treat her. She's my only girl, and daddy will probably be overly protective. She can't date until she is 25 :)!!
4. I'm dreaming about starting a brand new heritage for my family. The Cooper family’s past is not marked with a legacy of honoring God, but the Cooper family from here on out will be known as a family that follows Christ. My kids will serve God. My grandkids will serve God. My great, great, great grandkids will serve God (if Jesus hasn't come back for his church). I have started a brand new precedent for the Cooper crew, and I'm excited for our present and future to be known as a family that serves the Lord!!
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
1. God has blessed me with some incredible ministry opportunities. There are a couple of things in 2008 & 2009 that are going to put PC on the national map. I know God does these kinds of things so that His Kingdom will be advanced. I'm doing my best to be sensitive to God with what He wants me to do to capitalize on these and future opportunities. I WANT HIS KINGDOM TO BE EXPANDED, and I'm humbled that I get to be a part of it!!
2. I am hosting a Church Planters’ Round Table in May. I'm excited to grow and learn from other leaders. Last year, I had the privilege of attending a round table with some of the greatest leaders from around the nation, and it made a huge impact on my life. VERY EXCITED! Plus, I get to hang out with some of my buddies. Always fun!
3. I'm dreaming about how I can better network with other leaders for my and their benefit? Don't have this figured out, but I'm dreaming about it. I'm very grateful that I get to connect with leaders every week from around the nation. I'm also blessed that some of the greatest leaders live right here in the
4. How do I become a better follower of Christ? I know this sounds very cliché, but it consumes my thoughts. I have come a long way in my walk with Christ. Every year, I am more and more free and becoming more and more like Christ. There are some areas in my life that I want to be more free in. I want God to consume every part of me. I'm not there yet, but I'm still dreaming!
5. I want to stay sensitive to God and have a passion and love for people in spite of all the challenges that ministry brings. I'm not there yet. I'm dreaming about the day that people who don't like me or our church don't jack with my thinking. I'm dreaming about the day when the weekend numbers don't affect me mentally and spiritually. I'm dreaming about the day when I make every decision motivated by what God wants me to do and nothing else. STILL DREAMING!
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
1. Adding more of the right staff. Hiring the right staff is so key, and it constantly consumes my thoughts.
2. Moving into our 42,000 square addition. This additional space will take PC to the next level. We are using every inch of our 17,000 square foot facility and more space was needed YESTERDAY!
3. I'm dreaming about how to move into our new facility and capture the momentum that God is going to give us. Building the building is half the battle and being prepared for God to bless us is the other half of the battle. I am doing my best to prepare our staff and our church family for another 1000 to 2000 people over night.
4. Starting multiple campuses. We will be one church in many locations with the PC multi-cultural flair. There are several cities across our state and many cities across our country that desperately need a diverse life-giving church. That's our niche, and with God's help we are going to turn cities UPSIDE DOWN FOR CHRIST!
5. Getting more of the PC family connected relationally. God is giving me and our team wisdom on this. We have to figure this out quickly.
Monday, April 7, 2008
1. What a gorgeous weekend in
2. I grilled out pork chops on Saturday. Both my wife and I loved them. I'm a great cook (NOT REALLY)!
3. I picked
4. 50 people gave their hearts to Christ on Sunday. I could really sense the power of God working in the auditorium. I love when I feel the Holy Spirit drawing people to Christ.
5. This series, The Perfect Kid has gone really, really well. People seem to be getting a lot out of this parenting series. I know Tiffany and I are really growing as parents.
6. The empty chair video was INSANE! Great job Media Team.
7. I love our Worship Team and especially our worship leader Brian. We work very well together. I can't believe he and his wife have been serving PC with Tiffany and me for almost 6 years. Brian, it's been a FUN ride and the CRAZY thing is that the best is yet to COME!
8. Josh, you are doing a great job leading the construction of our new building. People have no idea all that it takes to build a building, and you handle it with such grace. You are a true blessing to me and the PC family.
9. I just wanted to give a shout out to some of my team members. This is a good way for me to see if they really read my blog :). Actually, I am very humbled and honored to work with such talented and committed people! PC, WE ARE REALLY BLESSED with GREAT leadership.
10. This coming Sunday I will be speaking on Discipline: God's Way. Get every parent you know to church this weekend. I really believe God is going to equip them with some much needed knowledge. Singles, you better be at PC as well. This info will keep you from a world of trouble as you begin your family.
Friday, April 4, 2008
2. We had some major breakthroughs as a Leadership Team. We have been seeking God for clear direction, and God has really given us some great direction about what we need to do to take People's Church to the next level.
3. We are looking to add one, possibly two full-time positions to our media department. I don't know all of the details, but if you have an interest and the media skills, email your resume to email@example.com.
4. This Sunday, I am teaching a message that is going to really help parents and even future parents. The title is 3 CRUCIAL MISTAKES I WANT TO AVOID AS A PARENT! TRUST ME, you don't want to miss this message. It could change the course of your kids’ or future kids’ lives.
5. They are working like CRAZY on our land. I am so, so, so, so, so EXCITED to move into our 42,000 square foot addition. It's hard to believe that we have been doing ministry and growing like CRAZY in a 17,000 square foot facility. We have one of the largest churches that meets in one of the smallest facilities in the nation.
6. Please continue to pray for the CRAZY Campaign and for the construction of our new building. GOD is blessing both in a huge way. Church family, you are AWESOME! Thank you for your faithfulness!
7. Folks, the best is yet to come!
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
How To Make People Not Like You
1. Be a know it all
2. Only see things from your point-of-view
3. Gossip about people
4. Tear down others
5. Talk about yourself all the time
6. Always point out the negative
7. Always tell people what they can't do
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
I think one of the things that hinder people and ministries from moving forward is a lack of people skills. If you want to have a healthy organization and a thriving life, you need to have good people skills. Over the next few days, I want to share some of my insights and some lessons I've learned regarding the area of people skills.
1. People generally follow people they like.
2. People generally follow people who have a positive attitude.
3. People generally follow people who see the best in others.
4. People generally follow people they can get along with.