Thursday, January 31, 2008
8. My kids help me grow as a leader. All three of my kids have different personalities and need me in different ways at different times. Learning to be the best dad requires so much: wisdom, patience, time, consistency, discipline and love. Being a daddy is so much fun, and it helps me grow as a leader.
9. Handling difficult people helps me grow as a leader. Every time I deal with a difficult person, I walk away from that season as a stronger, wiser and shaper leader. Difficult people cause me to be even more laser focused on the vision. They help me develop better problem-solving skills. They help me develop my love for people who often times don't like me or don't agree with me. I have to thank God for the difficult people that I have had the privilege to pastor because, though I didn't like it at the time, they made me a better leader for God.
I am still growing as a leader, how about you?
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
4. I read several blogs on a daily basis of very sharp leaders. It's so awesome that I can learn from some of the best people in the nation, and I don't ever have to meet them personally. The internet has revolutionized how we can develop as leaders. If you are not using the Internet to help you in your personal growth, you are missing out on a great opportunity.
5. I listen to several pastors’ messages online. I enjoy listening to other communicators. It's great for me spiritually and helps me grow in my communication skills. I also get lots of ideas from other speakers. Once again, if you are not taking advantage of this wonderful tool, you are blowing a great opportunity to expand your horizons.
6. I read books. I don't really enjoy reading, but I know I have to so that I don't stunt my growth. I have learned and continue to learn a great deal from all the books I read. I mostly read church growth, spiritual growth, business and leadership books. I'm hungry to grow as a leader.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
1. I have several good pastor friends that I talk to frequently. These leaders are great strategic thinkers, and they challenge me as a leader. Every pastor needs some pastor friends who can help them grow, give them advice and will allow them to vent their frustrations.
2. I have a few pastors of very large churches I meet with a couple of times a year that stretch me to think on another level. I love being around them because they challenge me, offer me advice on another level and speak into my life and ministry.
3. I have a pastor who has been a mentor and friend for many years. I talk to him whenever I am facing difficult decisions. I try to eat lunch with him a couple of times a year. He has so much experience and wisdom. I trust him and value his opinion. He is a leader of leaders.
Friday, January 25, 2008
1. I am praying for the CRAZY Campaign. I know that, as we seek God's face, He is going to do wonderful things in us and through us. Remember to use your CRAZY prayer guide as you pray for our church and the campaign.
2. We are baptizing people in all four services this weekend. Call the church office or email firstname.lastname@example.org NOW to get signed up to be baptized in water. God is going to bless the socks off of your life for being obedient to His Word.
3. If you started attending People's Church in 2002 or 2003, we are having a CRAZY event that you can't miss. I want to share the vision of People's Church with you and answer any questions that you may have about our new facility. We will be meeting tomorrow (Saturday) at 5PM at the SpringHill Suites (formerly AmeriSuites) located at 3201 W. Memorial Rd on the north side of Memorial Rd. just west of May Ave.
4. Today is my off day, and I am glad. It’s been a busy but productive week. The family and I are going on a family breakfast date. It will be fun!
5. My wife and I went on a hot date last night. I love that woman. She understands me inside and out.
6. This Sunday is the last Sunday of The Winning Hand. My title is Going All In. I'm super pumped to share this message with you.
7. Remember to invite all of your un-churched friends and family to People's Church this Sunday. God is going to do something special in their lives.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
I am committed to living a life of integrity and accountability. I am living a life above reproach when it comes to the big things: relationships, finances and morality. I am a big believer in surrounding myself with accountability structures that will keep me far from falling. I know my own weaknesses and temptations, so I have put or others have put in place extra safeguards so that I can live a life of integrity for the long haul. I am also committed to having integrity in what some would call the small things. My goal is always for those closest to me to have the most respect for me. Anybody can respect me from a distance, but my wife, kids, friends and close staff members really know me. They know that I am walking in integrity, and that encourages me greatly. We live in a world where many people neglect integrity. I firmly believe that having integrity, even in the little things, makes THE DIFFERENCE. Some questions for you:
1. Do you do what you say you will do?
2. Do people trust you?
3. Do you follow through on your commitments?
4. Do you justify your behavior?
5. Do you blame others and circumstances for your lack of integrity?
6. Do you have hidden sin in your life?
7. Do you deceive people?
8. Do you lie to people?
9. Are you dependable?
There are no shortcuts when it comes to having and maintaining integrity. Either you are building your life on the firm rock of integrity or you are building your life on a very slippery slope. The little things make the difference!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
I'm committed more than ever to love my wife extravagantly and to be a great dad to my kids. I am highly committed to not put the ministry before my family. Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not using my family as a crutch not to work hard. I work extremely hard. I don't believe in being lazy or having lazy people on my team. I'm a big believer in going the extra mile. I invest a lot of time and energy into People's Church, but I will not let People's Church destroy the family that God has so graciously blessed me with. If I take care of my family, I really believe God will take care of HIS church. Here are some things I do to put my family first:
1. Besides my weekly Community Group and my monthly meeting with the board, I rarely have evening appointments. I normally eat dinner with my family 5 to 6 nights a week.
2. I guard my off days so that I can spend time hanging out with my family.
3. I am not accepting many outside speaking engagements so that I can invest in my family. Plus, I hate being away from my kids and ESPECIALLY MY WIFE!
4. I'm going to speak between 35 to 42 times a year at People's Church and have other qualified communicators share the speaking load with me. This not only helps me to be a more effective husband and dad, but it also makes me a more effective pastor and communicator. I also need time to be refreshed, to plan and to dream about the future.
5. I take my wife on a date night every other week. I take my kids and wife on a family date night once a week. I'm taking my wife on three getaways without the kids in 2008.
6. My family and I take a few weeks vacation to enjoy each other and to recoup from the grind of ministry.
All of the above are little things, but THE LITTLE THINGS MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
God has been revealing this above statement to me through my time in His Word and in prayer. My desire is to please the Lord. This is not just a cute cliché from a preacher. I really want to please the Lord. I want to honor Him with my life. I want to finish well. I want to serve Him with passion and fervor. I have been spending quality time with Christ every day, and it's made a huge difference in my life. Spending quality time with Jesus changes my perspective. It makes my attitude better. It causes me to respond to my wife and kids better. It makes me a better pastor. It makes my decision making better. If I get the little things right, the big things will take care of themselves. It seems so little, but spending quality time with God EVERY DAY MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE!
The words to an old worship song I used to listen to are so true: I Need You, Lord, More Than Yesterday. I Need You Lord, More Than Words Can Say!
Monday, January 21, 2008
1. This weekend was a great weekend at PC. I talked to our church about our spiritual growth process. The emphasis of the message was how does PC help people grow spiritually.
2. Church family, take the next step in your spiritual growth. Don't be a constipated Christian. For those of you who missed the message yesterday, check it out online. I talked about how Christians become constipated in their walk with Christ. The church was laughing so hard that I thought some people where going to fall out of their seats. The point was driven home by this illustration. The message should be online today or tomorrow. Go to www.peopleschurch.tv and check it out.
3. 29 people gave their lives to Christ yesterday. That is what it's all about!
5. I forgot to mention in my random thoughts post on Friday that my wife and I are glad American Idol is back on. We are huge fans!
6. People's Church, take the next step in your spiritual growth!!
7. This coming up Sunday is Friend’s Day. Everybody bring a friend to church who needs to experience God's love and forgiveness. No excuses, bring a friend and let's watch our awesome God change lives.
8. The CRAZY Campaign is off and rolling. Be sure to use your prayer guide and pray for God to do great things through this CRAZY season. Also, be sure to come to the CRAZY meetings you have been invited to. The staff and I are looking forward to sharing the vision with you and answering your questions about this exciting CRAZY season. This is by far the most exciting thing happening at PC in 2008! Don't miss out!
Friday, January 18, 2008
1. I am super excited about what God is going to do at People's Church this Sunday! Don't you dare
2. Invite a friend to join you this Sunday at PC.
3. This Sunday's message is going to bring such clarity to what People's Church is all about. You will walk away this Sunday saying, “I get it like never before.” Don't miss it!
4. I am still trying to get over the Dallas Cowboys’ loss on Sunday.
5. I am hanging with my family this morning. It's fun watching my kids dance and run around like nuts :).
6. We are going to spend most of the day together as a family. Tonight, I have a one hour meeting.
7. I am pumped that we are breaking ground on a new 42,000 square foot facility in March.
8. Church family, thank you for signing up for the CRAZY 40 Days Of Prayer. The response on Sunday was unbelievable. Everything great that happens in God's Kingdom is brought forth through prayer. Be sure to use your CRAZY 40 Day Prayer Guide as you pray for the CRAZY Campaign everyday.
9. This is a CRAZY season for our church. ARE YOU READY TO GET CRAZY? Tiffany and I sure are!
10. See you Sunday!
Thursday, January 17, 2008
1. To get momentum and keep momentum, you must have the right people around you. You can have the right vision and the right strategy, but if you have the wrong people around you, it will kill your momentum. The team around you will make you or break you. You are only as strong as the people surrounding you. You will never capture momentum and KEEP IT if you have the wrong people around you. Here are some things you need to assess when it comes to the people around you.
A. Do I have the right person but they are not a fit for their current portfolio? I must switch their role in the organization.
B. Do I have a great person who is the wrong person for the organization? I must help them find another organization where they can add the most value.
C. Do I have a person who has issues and they do not line up with the organization’s values? I must remove the person before they cause problems in the organization.
D. Did I have the right person for the job but the organization has out grown their ability? I must help this person find another organization where they can add the most value.
E. Do I have the right person and the right portfolio but the person needs training? I or someone in the organization needs to invest in this person.
Once again, if you want to get momentum and keep it, you must have the right people around. HOW'S YOUR TEAM?
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
1. A Compelling Vision can create momentum and keep momentum. One of the things every church and organization has to figure out very quickly is what is the MAIN THING. You have to know what God has called you to do and then cast it like crazy. So many churches don't know what they are trying to accomplish. They are simply just having services and offering programs. You must get a compelling vision from God and stick with what God has called you to do. You can't let people, circumstances or problems sway you from the vision that God has given you. Then you have to become a consistent MASTER CASTER! You have to share the vision consistently with your leaders and the rest of the church. You can't share the vision enough!
2. Reaching the un-churched can create momentum and keep momentum. If you become a church that is sold out and totally committed to reaching people who are far from God, it will create momentum. I must warn you that before you create momentum by reaching the un-churched, you may first lose it. Because when a church gets serious about the thing that is most dear to God's heart, reaching the un-churched; religious, stagnant and selfish church people will cause you problems and/or will leave your church. The real question is not do you want momentum, it is are you willing and ready to pay the price for momentum? MOMENTUM COMES WITH A PRICE, but it is well worth it to see lives changed by the power of Christ.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
1. You MUST have great, inspiring, excellent and God-filled services. So many churches don't have great services. They treat the weekend services like it's no big deal. They spend very little energy planning, preparing and evaluating the weekend services.
Every week at PC, our team gives a lot of thought to planning great services. Our Worship Team practices and learns their parts before the weekend arrives. I study my messages long before Saturday night. As a matter of fact, I spend most of my week praying, thinking about, studying and preparing for Sunday's message. It's the most important thing I do all week.
Every week our staff evaluates the entire weekend. We ask, what was great? What went wrong? What do we need to improve on? How can we do things better? We even ask people to come and evaluate our services. We listen to what first-time guests are saying about our services. The bottom line is we work extremely hard to have great, memorable, Holy Spirit inspiring and life-changing services.
If your services stink, people aren't excited about the church. If your services stink, people aren't motivated to invite their friends to church. If you think your services are good but other people think they stink, YOU WILL NOT GET MOMENTUM ON YOUR SIDE!
Monday, January 14, 2008
1. This weekend was another incredible weekend at People's Church. WOW, I can sense the momentum in the air. God is up to something HUGE at PC!
2. We had 54 people give their hearts to Christ yesterday. UNBELIEVABLE! Last week 77 and this week 54. Keep inviting your friends to experience the life-changing power of Christ! YEA, GOD!
3. Everyone that has given your heart to Christ over the last couple of weeks, be sure to get to the Starting Point Class/Community Group. Every Wednesday night for the next 6 weeks at 7PM at the PC building, you will learn about how to live your life for Christ. BE THERE THIS WEEK! Also, be sure to get signed up to be baptized in water on January 27th in all four services. It's going to be a GREAT celebration as you go public with your faith.
4. I made a huge announcement yesterday. Actually, I made two huge announcements. Tiffany and I are having our fourth baby in July. That's right, my beautiful, fine, sexy wife is having our fourth child, and I'm pumped about it. I love being a daddy!
5. I also announced that we are breaking ground on our 2nd phase in March 2008. Our 2nd phase will consist of an 1800 seat auditorium, and it will give us over 14,000 square feet of kids’ space (right now we have 4100) and over 13,000 of lobby space (right now we have around 3000). It will also give us 1200 to 1300 parking spaces (right now we have 168 paved parking spaces). This second phase is desperately needed so that we can reach more people who are FAR FROM GOD! I'm EXCITED!
6. We also launched our Crazy Stewardship Campaign yesterday. This campaign is a spiritual journey of seeking God and allowing Him to speak to each of our hearts about what He wants to do through us to see this new facility become reality. Church family, please join me on this 40 day prayer journey. You have your CRAZY prayer guides, so turn up your prayer burners, and let's pray like CRAZY for God to bless this campaign, our lives and this city in CRAZY ways. THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
7. Invite everybody you know to be at church this coming Sunday. God has special things in store for us! Don't you dare miss out on what God is doing!
Friday, January 11, 2008
1. This was one of the busiest weeks I have had in a long time. My schedule was full of appointments, meetings, interviews, more meetings and studying for this weekend’s message. Thank the Lord that things will slow down some next week. There are seasons in ministry that are way busier than others and this is one of them.
2. This Sunday I'm making a HUGE and EXCITING announcement about the future and direction of People's Church. Folks, don't miss Sunday for anything.
3. Invite your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors to church this Sunday. Most people will come to church with you if you will ask them. I believe this will be the Sunday that God changes their lives in an incredible way! GO INVITE PEOPLE RIGHT NOW!!
5. I'm making TWO huge announcements this Sunday! It's going to be a BIG, BIG SUNDAY! You will love it!
6. BRING A FRIEND WITH YOU SUNDAY, AND I'LL SEE YOU THERE!
Thursday, January 10, 2008
The dream that God has given me isn't about me. The dream is about reaching as many people as possible with the good news of Christ. The dream is not about me. The dream is about seeing addicted people set free. The dream is not about me. The dream is about seeing broken hearts mended by the power of Christ. The dream is not about me. The dream is about seeing thousands upon thousands of people transformed by the power of Christ. The dream is not about me. Some questions for you:
1. Is your dream all about you? If it is, it's your dream and not GOD'S dream. The dream is not about you.
2. Why has God given you the ability to make lots of money? Is it so you can spend it all on yourself? No way, it's so you can advance God's Kingdom and see more lives changed. The dream is not about you.
3. Why has God given you the gift of leadership? Is it so you can leverage it for your own personal gain? No way, it's so more people can come to know Christ. The dream is not about you.
4. Why has God given you your job? Is it so you can just make money and pay the bills? No way, God has placed you on your job to be a light in the midst of darkness. God has given you your job so that His Kingdom can be advanced. The dream is not about you.
5. Have you made the dream all about you or all about God's Kingdom being advanced?
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
The dream that God has given me not only scares me but also requires faith. I realize as a Christian that I'm called to live a life of faith and that can be easier said than done. Faith means you can see it in the spiritual, but you don't yet see it in the physical. Faith means you are taking faith steps, and you don't exactly know how it's going to work out, but you are following God anyways. Faith means you have to be willing to look crazy because you can see what God has placed in your heart, but others don't see it. The thing that excites me the most about living by faith is I know that living by faith pleases God. Matter of fact, the scripture says without faith IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE GOD! Some questions for you to ponder:
1. Does your dream require faith? If not, it's your dream and not God's dream.
2. Does the dream in your heart seem risky? Sounds like that could be God to me. You can't cross to the other side of the ocean without losing sight of the shore. THAT'S RISKY!
3. Why aren't you taking faith steps? Get out of the boat my friend and start walking on water!
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
The dream/vision God has placed in my heart scares me. It scares me because it's WAY bigger than me. It scares me because I know it can't be accomplished in my own strength. It's amazing how I can be scared and excited at the same time. I am so excited because God's dream is not about me, it's about thousands upon thousands of lives being transformed by the power of Christ.
A few questions for you:
1. Does God's dream scare you?
2. If not, do you really have God's dream?
3. Why are you settling for your little dream when God has so much more?
Monday, January 7, 2008
1. Sunday was an incredible kickoff to the new year. We had 77 people give their lives to Christ. It was unbelievable seeing so many hands in the air saying I want Christ to be the Lord of my life. THANK YOU, JESUS!
2. I know God changed the direction of people's lives through His Word yesterday. Church family, be doers of the word. Don't go back to the same lifestyle. Follow God and watch him bless your life.
3. I won one of my fantasy leagues. Our finals is a two week final. My final record was 13-2! Three years in a row that I've won one of my three leagues!
4. The weather was incredible this weekend! It makes me ready for spring time.
5. This coming up Sunday I'm making the biggest announcement in the HISTORY of People's Church. Don't you dare
6. I talked to a man yesterday at church, I think his name was Jeff, and he and his family drive from Seminole every Sunday to attend People's Church. THAT BLEW ME AWAY! That's an hour and fifteen to thirty minute drive. My dad lives right outside of Seminole, so I know that area well. Jeff and his family are hungry for more of God!
7. God is already stirring my heart about this coming up Sunday’s message. I'm excited about the lives that God is going to change!
8. People are open to come to church at the beginning of the new year. Don't miss this opportunity to invite your friends, co-workers, relatives and neighbors to church this Sunday. ASK THEM TO COME AND WATCH GOD WORK IN THEIR LIVES!
Friday, January 4, 2008
2008 Ministry Goals
1. People's Church to grow 1000 people in attendance.
2. To locate and develop two high capacity leaders at People's Church.
3. Take less speaking out engagements in 2008. I spoke out too much in 2007.
4. Build a facility.
5. To keep our team extremely focused on the vision/spiritual growth plan of People's Church.
Thursday, January 3, 2008
My 2008 Family Goals (Some of these goals have already been implemented but they will continue in ‘08)
1. I'm going on a date with my wife without the kids at least twice a month.
2. I'm going to take my wife on at least 3 overnight trips without the kids.
3. I'm going to guard my days off so that I can spend lots of time with my family.
4. When I come home from work, I'm not going to get onto the computer until my kids go to bed.
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
I am a believer in goal setting. I am highly motivated by having a goal to work towards. This week I'm going to list my 2008 goals.
1. I am going to the next level in personal holiness. There are things that God has been convicting me about, and I'm making some changes. I'm committed to pursuing God with everything within me.
2. I am going to lose 10 pounds.
3. I am going to read the Bible and pray every day. There were days in 2007 that I skipped my time with the Lord because of busyness or laziness.
4. I am going to go on a fast at least once a quarter.