Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Above Or Below pt. 4

Here are some more things that I consider before hiring above or below:

4. I always want to do what's best for the staff member and what's best for the church. It's not fair to a staff member or to the church to keep a staff member in a position that they can't succeed and thrive in.

5. I love being friends with the people I work with. I love the fact that our staff can laugh with each other, goof off together, make fun of each other and just flat out have a blast together. One of the challenges with being friends with your staff, can be letting the friendship with a staff member stop you from hiring above them even when you know it's necessary. I thoroughly enjoy being friends with our staff, but I always strive to do what's best for the staff member and what's best for the church no matter how deep the friendship.

6. As a spiritual leader, I always strive to handle each person with love and compassion. I truly love the people I work with and want the best for their life, families and ministry.

Closing thoughts: In most cases what got you where you are, won't take you where you're going. Either your team will grow and develop, and you will hire below them, or the church will out grow their level of leadership and you will have to make the tough call and hire above them.