Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Extreme Focus

I don't know all the reasons why, but I've always been a person of extreme focus. I'm very committed to doing a few things very well. I've never been one to chase after the latest church fad. I've never been one to chase after the new business adventure because someone told me it would make me lots of money. I've never wanted to spend my time learning how to play a new sport like golf (nothing wrong with that by the way). I'm just a very focused person, and I must admit, sometimes to a fault. Here's some things focus has done for my life.

1. My life is very simple. Because of focus, I don't have a complex life. My life is very predictable week after week and month after month. I dislike a complex and overly busy schedule. I stay in control of my schedule and don't let others control it.

2. I say “no” to a lot of good things and most of the time, I don't feel guilty about it. I know what I want to accomplish with my life, and if it doesn't fit into those parameters I usually say “no.”

3. I get to eat dinner with my family and spend the evening with them 5 or 6 nights a week. My family is a priority in my life and schedule, so part of my obsession when it comes to focus is to guard my family time.

4. I normally stay in my strength zone. I don't do counseling, weddings, funerals, very many appointments or make very many hospital visits. These things get done with excellence by some of our staff members and a host of volunteers. I focus my time on prayer & studying the Bible, teaching, vision development/vision casting and leadership development (in and outside of our church). I CAN'T DO IT ALL, AND I DON'T PRETEND LIKE I CAN.

5. Focus has allowed me to achieve certain goals in life because I'm not easily side tracked. I see the goal or what I believe God wants to accomplish through me, and I run like a horse with blinders on to reach it.

6. It allows me to spend time with God almost every day. I say almost because sometimes I squeeze God out of my schedule (sorry God, I know I shouldn't ever do that), but the vast majority of time I have a daily time with God that's not focused on message prep. This daily time with God is just for my relationship with my Heavenly Father to be enhanced. It's a daily time for me to get close to God and allow Him to speak to me. I'M NOTHING WITHOUT GOD! I'M FOCUSED ON KNOWING MY SAVIOR IN A MORE INTIMATE WAY!

HOW'S YOUR FOCUS?