Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tiffany Cooper Shares Raw, Candid Insight About Ministry

PK TO PW

You may be asking yourself, "What is PK to PW?" Well, here it is broken down for you: PK (Pastor's Kid) to PW (Pastor's Wife). I was born in the ministry, and I married into the ministry! How's that for transition?

My call in life was evident to me at a very young age. There was no doubt in my mind that I would be in the ministry, it was my purpose in life. I remember knowing this as young as 6 years old, and I recall a night in the 5th grade that still lingers fresh in my mind. I was in my bedroom, located in the basement of the house, and I was talking to God with tears rolling off my chin, "God, I will do whatever you ask; I will go wherever you send me." At that time, I thought I would live in another country as a missionary. It didn't matter to me what I was doing, I just wanted to make a difference in people's lives for the better. This call never left my heart. I never abandoned my devotion to God even when I went through some challenges in my adolescent years.

All these years later, it is still a joy for me to think back on the pivotal moments of my childhood. I am a Pastor's Wife to the hubby I love to brag on, and I am truly in the thick of ministry. Let me tell you something that you may or may not know...this is a role that takes some adjusting to! But, I had an advantage that not all PW's have at the start of ministry---I was a PK (Pastor's Kid)!!!

How being a PK helps me as a PW:

1. Life in the Fish Bowl: I have lived my entire life in the "Fish Bowl" so to speak. As a child, I was very conscious that my actions reflected on my parents and the church. This created unwanted pressure at points in my life but also prepared me for the next level of intense "Fish Bowl" existence. As a PW, my life is looked at through a magnifying glass. I have navigated through these challenges well and give much credit to growing up in a "Fish Bowl".

2. People are People: It's plain and simple, people are people and some people do things that hurt you. This is not inclusive of the church family; this includes the community as a whole. While some hurtful actions are intentional, others are unintentional. As a PK, I learned that there are moments when the people you think love you will actually hurt you. In addition, there are those in the community who want you to know that they aren't for you or the call God's given to you. Thankfully, I've learned that hurt can come from misunderstandings, people's past experiences, unhealed hurt in their lives, etc. I don't take hurtful statements or actions personally, I trust in God. I had to do this a PK, and it has helped me as a PW.
Side Note: My church family is incredible. I continually feel their love and support. I am a blessed PW!!!

I REALLY LOVE MINISTRY and could talk about it all day long, but this post is getting long, so I will post PART 2 tomorrow! Until then, have a fantastic day!