Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Friday, May 18, 2007

Church Planting Advice

I just spent two days with 15 church planters from around the nation. This is what I want to pass along to you.

1. Church is planting is hard. If you are a wimp, don't plant a church. If you are coward, don't plant a church. If you are a quitter, don't plant a church.

2. Evangelism better be a core value of your church. If you don't have a burning passion to win people who are far from God, don't plant a church. If you want to pastor a church full of church people, just take a church and preach and love your heart away.

3. Resources can be a major challenge. I talked with several guys who are having MAJOR resource challenges. I would strongly advice you to have a long term business plan before planting a church. When pastor's and churches quit supporting your dream, how are you going to finance it? I STRONGLY BELIEVE THE BEST WAY TO HAVE RESOURCES FOR A CHURCH PLANT IS IN THE HARVEST; REACH PEOPLE FOR CHRIST IN YOUR CITY AND THE RESOURCES WILL FOLLOW. Accomplishing your vision will bring provision!

4. You don't just need a business plan, you also need a ministry plan. Where are you going and how are you going to get there? Does your church have a strategy to accomplish your BIG vision or are you just having services?

5. You must pray and depend on God like crazy. A church planter needs to have a vibrant relationship with Christ. You must love God with all your heart. You must be committed to His word. You must learn to hear God's voice above all others. YOU HAVE TO KNOW GOD FOR YOURSELF!

6. YOUR SPOUSE BETTER be called and excited about launching a new church. ENOUGH SAID!

7. CHURCH PLANTING IS ONE OF THE MOST REWARDING THINGS I'VE EVER DONE! I LOVE IT! I WOULDN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE! I'M RIGHT WHERE GOD WANTS ME! It's hard work but it's worth it and I'm having the time of my life!