Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Monday, March 15, 2010

Those Who Make Me Successful pt. 2

At People’s Church, I have three people who directly report to me, and they are our Executive Directors. Our Executive Directors run the rest of the staff and the church. Today, I want you to hear from our Executive Director of Creative Arts, Brian Rush.

Seems like only yesterday that it was 2002, and Alicia and I had just moved to OKC to start this thing called People's Church with Senior Pastor Herbert Cooper and his wife Tiffany. It is amazing to look back over the past 8 years and see what God has done. I could spend all day writing about things learned and ways that I've changed, but here are a couple ministry thoughts that definitely go towards the top.

1. Stay the course. Great things take time (including ministry). On average, it takes about 13 hours to build a Honda sedan. On the other hand, it takes up to 6 months to build a Rolls Royce. Now, while I've owned a couple Hondas and they are great cars, they are NOT a Rolls Royce (disclaimer: never owned a RR, never even driven one). If you know God has placed you somewhere, stay the course. Even when it's difficult, even when you're being stretched, even when it's tempting to bail out, stay the course. The longer you invest, the greater the return.

2. Take someone with you. Every day I am reminded that I am not that great all by myself. I've read it, heard people speak about it, am living it out each day and believe it with all my heart: "One of the greatest assets you have is the team you have around you". Literally, the people closest to you will make you or break you. Money, technology, new fads, cool gadgets, you fill in the blank...I'll take the RIGHT people over every single one of them every time. Spend time developing the right people, and you will be amazed at what a great team can accomplish with God's help.