Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Anything Short Of Sin

The first time I heard this statement was from my good friend, Craig Groeschel, Senior Pastor of LifeChurch.tv. When I first heard this statement, I agreed with it in my mind but not in my heart. There were things other churches were doing to reach people for Christ that I was critical of. I wasn't critical of the pastor or the church, but I was critical about some of the methods they used to reach people. I even said these words to my wife, "I will never do that."

I am so glad that God changed my heart. I've had the privilege to get to know or meet some great, cutting-edge and creative pastors. Almost all of these leaders have great hearts. They love Jesus with everything within them. They love the people in their cities and want to do anything possible to see those far from God come to know Christ. Over time, I have learned that my critical eye was more narrow-thinking, pride, insecurity and a lack of exposure. Not only has God changed my heart, but our church is now doing some of the things that I said I would never do. I think God has a sense of humor! More tomorrow.