Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Say No So You Can Say Yes

The above quote was one of the points in my wife's message on Sunday. It's such a true statement. If you are going to say yes to what's best, you have to say no to what's good. There are so many good things that can keep you from the best things. Here are some things I say no to so that I can say yes.

1. I say no to almost all evening appointments so that I can say yes to my family.

2. I say no to many breakfasts, lunches and other appointments so that I can say yes to studying, prayer and investing in my staff.

3. I say no to working on my off day so that I can say yes to resting and spending time with my family.

4. I say no to many speaking engagements so that I can say yes to investing in my small kids (plus, I hate being away from my wife).

5. I say no to sleeping in so that I can say yes to spending quality time with God.

6. I say no to eating whatever I want whenever I want so that I can say yes to a healthy body.

7. I say no to laziness so that I can say yes to working out at the gym.

8. I say no to mission trips during this season of my life (4 kids, five and under) so that I can say yes to being a great daddy and husband.

9. I say no to keeping up with the Jones' so that I can say yes to financial freedom.

10. I say no to being average at a lot of things so that I can say yes to being good at a few things.

11. I say no to being a pastor who does everything for the church so that I can say yes to empowering others to use their gifts to make a difference.