Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Friday, May 30, 2008

Keeping The Sanity

Thoughts From Tiffany Cooper

Life can get overwhelming if you don’t set boundaries for yourself. I am a wife. I am a mother to 3 kids ages 4, 3 and 1, plus our 4th baby is due this July. I am also a pastor’s wife to an amazing church. I had to become very deliberate about my schedule a little over a year ago in order to protect my emotional and physical health.

5 things that help me keep the sanity…
  1. Family Time. I love having time with Herbert. Quantity and quality time are important to our relationship. Herbert has always made family time a top priority, and I am a better wife because of it.
  2. Alone Time. I started having a sitter to stay with the kids once a week, so I could enjoy “me time” without hearing “mommy” non-stop. This time allows me to go places I can’t with the kids, and I come home feeling refreshed mentally.
  3. Letting Go. I quickly realized I had to let go of my perfectionism. It was unrealistic to think that I could have a perfectly clean home at all times. I had to take time to stop and breathe even if laundry had to be done. I had to learn to say no even if it was a good thing. There are only 24 hours in a day, and I am only one woman.
  4. Ministry. Herbert has always made decisions based on whether it’s the best thing for me. He doesn’t require more of me as a pastor’s wife than he does our church family. Behind Christ, I am his wife first, the mother of our kids second and committed to ministry third. He helps balance me because I would go and do and end up feeling drained.
  5. I eat chocolate! Women, can I get an Amen!