Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Before I Started A Church, I Wish I Would Have Understood

6. Casting the vision before the people is a CONSTANT job.

7. Hire slow and fire fast.

8. Not everybody is going to like you or the direction of the church no matter what you do. Get over it AND LEAD.

9. The team you put around you will determine your success.

10. Planting a church would reveal all of my insecurities and weaknesses.

11. Being a pastor is a marathon not a sprint. I pushed myself and my team way too hard in the early days.

12. Only 1 percent of the people complain about the church, and those same people complain all the time (at least once a quarter). Don't get distracted by the 1 percent. Focus on the 99 percent that are with you.

13. I have to continually grow and change. If I don't grow and change, the church won't either. I am the lid to the church. In the church, if I don't like what I see, I don't need to look any further than me.

14. Getting new Christians connected into community (small groups or whatever you call them) is ALWAYS tough work. IT JUST IS! Sometimes getting established Christians into community is even harder!

15. Enjoy the journey. In the early days, I didn't enjoy the journey like I am today. I'm going to enjoy God, my family, my friends and life. Life is too short not to have fun. I AM GOING TO HAVE A BLAST LIVING LIFE AND BEING A PASTOR!