Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lessons I Learned From Disney World

1. One person, passionate and committed to a vision, can accomplish great things. It's amazing what Walt Disney accomplished, and it all began with a vision.

2. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Walt turned swampland into the vacation capital of the world.

3. Give people an experience no matter where they go. Everywhere I went at the Walt Disney World Resort, they gave me an experience. Even on the bus ride to the airport, they gave me an unforgettable experience.

4. Invest in kids and their parents and grandparents will come and spend a lot of money and time.

5. Create a friendly atmosphere. There were Disney Cast Members (workers) everywhere. One time I was looking for something, and one of the cast members approached me and asked if he could help me find something. With all the people around me, I was blown away that he noticed that I was looking for something.

6. Pay attention to every detail, and you will blow people away. Disney World pays attention to every little thing. Every ride and set design was amazing. Cast Members at every ride were dressed in an outfit that went along with the ride.

7. Make people do a lot of walking and have a lot of food and drinks available for purchase, and people will spend a lot of money.

8. One Cast Member told me that they average between 40,000 to 100,000 people a day at Magic Kingdom alone! I guess Disney knows something about attracting a crowd.

9. They were very organized. Buses and ferry boats take you from park to park. They checked every bag before you entered the park. At every ride, lines were organized. After certain rides, you had to go through a gift shop to exit the ride, and that tempted many people to buy something.

10. I'm glad I had a major speaking engagement in Orlando so that I could take my family to Disney. We enjoyed the experience, and we will go again when my kids are older.