Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Hiring Lessons

Putting the right team around you is one of the most important jobs of a leader. As I've stated before, your team will either make you or break you. Over the last 5 and a half years of being the Senior Pastor of People's Church, I have learned invaluable lessons about hiring. To be totally transparent, I have learned the most from all of the mistakes I've made. That's right, I have made some huge mistakes when it comes to hiring the right person, but one of the things I think I have done well is learn from my mistakes. I try my best not to make the same mistake twice. Over the next several days, I want to share with you some of the lessons I have discovered on my journey to building a great team. Today, I want to list some of the huge mistakes I've made.

1. I have hired people without calling their most recent employer.

2. I have rushed to hire someone because I felt like the position had to be filled.

3. I have hired people, and I really didn't know what I was looking for until after they were hired.

4. I have hired people when I had a gut check that there could be possible issues.

5. I have hired people without having any kind of hiring system besides shoot from the hip.