Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Advice To Emerging Leaders

1. Be very teachable. When I first graduated college, I thought I knew a lot about ministry and being an effective minister. Boy was I wrong! Over the years I have learned the more I know the more I realize I don't know. I don't have all the answers and neither do you; SO QUIT ACTING LIKE YOU DO!

2. Be very humble. For whatever reason, the Lord blessed Tiffany’s and my ministry from the very beginning. We had what many would call immediate success on the evangelistic field. Our calendar stayed booked up; we had doors open that were unbelievable. We saw the power of God move in wonderful ways. I found myself in my early 20's standing on platforms ministering to thousands of people at a time. I THOUGHT I WAS A BIG SHOT! BOY WAS I STUPID! I've grown up a lot since those days. I totally measure success differently today than I did in those early days of ministry. Emerging leaders, BE HUMBLE. You may be gifted, but it's not so you can walk around being arrogant and thinking more highly of yourself than you ought. Don't fall into the trap of thinking YOU'RE ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS!

3. Listen to mentors. A pet peeve of mine is when an emerging leader schedules an appointment with me because they want to pick my brain about how to start a church or launch an evangelistic ministry and all they do is talk about themselves to try and impress me. Emerging leaders, don't try to impress your mentor, listen and learn from them. Whenever I meet with one of my mentors, I always take a list of questions so that I can maximize my time with them. I realize they have a busy schedule like I do, so I ALWAYS come prepared to meet with them. I don't spend time trying to impress them; I SPEND TIME TRYING TO LEARN ALL I CAN FROM THEM! The greatest leaders are the greatest learners!