Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Being A PW

This entry was posted by Tiffany Cooper, Herbert's wife.

People’s Church celebrated 8 years as a church in May. I have been passionate about this church and my role as a pastor’s wife from day 1. Although I could compile a very long list of talking points, I thought I’d share 10 ways my life has been impacted as a pastor’s wife (PW).

  1. I get the most amazing view of what God is doing each week in the lives of people. I get to watch the transforming power of God at work in impossible situations.
  2. I have discovered my strengths and weaknesses through a new lens. Some of my strengths can become weaknesses as a PW if I’m not careful. Ouch!
  3. I get the best seat in the house when it comes to learning from a great leader, my husband. Dinner chats are intriguing as we talk about pastoring and leading. How many other women can say they are learning from the best? I know, I’m biasedJ
  4. I have had the privilege to develop friendships with truly incredible PW’s and their husbands. There is nothing like a friend who can understand your role.
  5. I get lots of extra love each week from our church family. They are so sweet to me and our children.
  6. I have experienced some challenging and some painful seasons of ministry, but I have always come out better and wiser. The discomfort is a small price to pay for more effectiveness.
  7. I have become a greater follower of Christ, a better example of Christ’s love to all people. My relationship with Christ is now free of religion. It’s about reaching people where they are.
  8. I made the adjustment to living my life in view of the public where every move and every word is judged. (Of course, I still have my slip-ups). Living my life in the fishbowl has moved from a small discomfort to completely normal.
  9. I have automatic credibility and a platform as a PW. I am thankful for this privilege to impact others’ lives. I do not take it lightly.
  10. I am honored to share this ministry journey with a man who is the same at home as he is in the church. He is the real deal, and I don’t take that for granted.

Being a pastor’s wife isn’t an ordinary life, and I like it that way. I’m right where I want to be. If you are a pastor, tell your wife that a PW from Oklahoma says hello. We’re all in this together!