Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Thursday, June 24, 2010

6 BIG Mistakes I've Made pt. 3

5. Not being comfortable in my own skin: Over the years, I have felt guilty for the way that I'm wired, and it's affected me emotionally and mentally. I'm a pastor, and I'm more of an introvert. I'm a pastor, and I would rather be by myself than with people. I'm a pastor, and I'm a task-driven person. I absolutely love people, care about people and am thrilled to pastor the wonderful people at People's Church, but I can't deny the above statements. In the past, when I've been around pastors who are extroverts and love to be around people all day, I have felt like something was wrong with me. I've wrestled with God in prayer over this matter. I've talked to my wife about it. It's been a process for God to deal with my heart and make me comfortable with the way He has created me.

Honestly, I've been this way since I was a kid. In middle school and high school, I didn't want to go to parties or big events. I was content and happy to be by myself or with one or two friends. I've been wired this way for as long as I can remember, but I felt like a pastor should be wired differently.

Through the work of the Holy Spirit, talking with my wife and meeting other pastors who are wired like me, I have embraced the fact that God made me this way and called me to pastor because He has a specific work He wants to accomplish through me. I've embraced the fact that God knew the way He created me before He called me to pastor, so obviously He wants to use my personality type to advance His Kingdom. Embracing the way that God has made me has been freeing for me emotionally and mentally. Pastor friend, I want to encourage you to be you! The compare game will suck the life out of you. Nobody can beat you being you!

NUMBER 6 NEXT WEEK!