Over the past year, I have learned so much about hiring the right people. Here are some things that I have learned.
1. Take your time. Seriously, be patient. Don't settle! It really is best to leave the position unfilled than to fill it with the wrong person.
2. Look inside your church for the person. After you've looked hard, look again because the right person could be sitting in your church every Sunday.
3. Ask the sharpest and most qualified people in your church to join your team. If they say no, ask them again and again. We do! :)
4. Bring on a firm that can help you find the right person for your team. I have used Helpstaff.me, and they have been awesome to work with. Justin and his team have helped us fill two positions. Justin has become a good friend of mine. Let him know that I told you to contact him and he may show you some extra love. :)
5. The best predictor of future performance is past performance.
6. If there is a sign of a lack of integrity, steer clear. You can't teach integrity. Trust me, I've tried before and it didn't work.
7. Figure out if you need a starter or a maintainer to fill the position. Most, maybe all, of the leadership positions at PC require starters.
8. Figure out if you need a leader or a manager to fill the position. PC thrives with leaders, not managers.
9. Test people. We give lots of tests to people to figure out as much about them as we can. This has been very helpful to us.
10. Have multiple people interview a person.