Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

3 Things That Raise My Stress Level

1. When I don't know where I'm headed with a series or a sermon: I'm a big planner, and I like to know where I'm going with a series or a message months out if possible. If I get a week or two out and don't know where I'm going with a message, that messes with me mentally.

2. Staff: Staff are my greatest asset and my greatest liability. One of the most difficult and most important jobs of any leader in a growing organization is building the right team. You have to get the right people on the bus and in the right seats, and when I have the wrong people on the bus or the right people in the wrong seats, this can mess with me mentally.

3. Building facilities: The most stressful times in my 8 years of being the senior pastor of People's Church was building our two buildings. The first building by far was the most stressful. I can see why many pastors resign and staff members leave after building a new facility. I'm thankful that my team members involved in building the facilities and I are still all in place. God has graced us, but it was stressful.