Home Books Links Peopleschurch.tv People"s Church

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Preaching Is The Easy Part pt. 2

"The Business Side"

Most seminaries and universities that train men and woman for full-time ministry have classes for homiletics, hermeneutics, Greek, Hebrew and preaching. You may walk away from your training knowing how to pray, study and preach, but the vast majority of these institutions never prepare the minister for "the business side" of ministry. They don't prepare you for accounts receivable, accounts payable, establishing budgets, payroll, workmen's comp, health & dental insurance, church insurance policies, tax laws, purchasing land, borrowing money, raising money, building buildings, maintaining buildings and the list goes on and on.

When I first said yes to the call of God on my life to preach the gospel, to win the lost and to disciple God's people, I had no idea that accomplishing God's call would require me to understand "the business side". If today's minister is going to be effective, he or she has to be able to do more than study, pray and preach. I thank God that he has wired me and gifted me to understand and run "the business side," but there are days that "the business side" is so intense that it makes me think preaching is the easy part. CAN I GET AN AMEN!